Over the past couple days I've been drawing and taping and cutting and string up big cardboard squares on my wall. I've been building a kind of brainstorming wall in my bedroom, a visual representation of my life that I can use to plan future projects.
Last week I wrote about my big November 1st deadline and about my anxiousness for the next step, my readiness for the next project, the next big thing I'm going to build.
Well, I've started planning what I want to build, and when I plan, I tend to cut up cardboard boxes and tape things to them.
And this week was no exception.
Hanging on my wall right now are 9 cardboard squares, each about 18 inches wide, each labeled with a different role I play in my life.
They are, in order of priority: Christian, Artist, Wife + Mother, Daughter + Sister, Community Member, Family Member, Steward of Health, Steward of Stuff, and Steward of Finances.
Then, taped to each square are the big projects I'm working on in that area. The current projects are: Rosiechild, Sunday Night Dinners, and my job at Great Lakes.
Next, I made a big list of all the things that have been bothering me. The things I want to change about my life, the things I want to build.
I wrote them all on sticky notes, stuck them to the wall, and started moving them around.
Which role to they belong to? Which ones are most important? Which ones are really the same as other ones?
I looked at them for awhile, moving them around, and eventually five projects floated to the top.
I was talking to Bjorn about it this afternoon and laughing about how much work is required for each one of them.
And really, I think this is about 5 years of work that I've outlined. This work will take me right up to when I start a family.
So, without further ado, here are the projects. I'll probably be telling stories about each of these projects in the coming weeks and months, but feel free to ask follow up questions in the comments if you're curious about any of them.
Today is November 12th, 2018. I am 29 years old and I …
1. I attend a vibrant, healthy, energizing church. My life is rooted in obedience to God and I love and embrace God’s real, concrete, fully human embodiment, Jesus Christ.
2. I host a weekly storytelling event where we come together to tell stories of risk and vulnerability, of being courageous in art and love, in our work and in our relationships. The storytelling community owns and operates a building in Detroit.
3. I am in a long term, serious romantic relationship.
4. I am fully expressed in my body and in the clothes that I wear. I maintain a healthy weight (between 125 and 135 lbs), make a lot of my own clothes, and generally love getting dressed in the morning.
5. I earn $22,000 a year after taxes. My work is highly time and location flexible; it is in integrity with my values.
What are you guys working on these days? What do you do when you're making big hairy audacious plans for the future?